The Local is seeking a Head of Engineering to lead the technical development of this thriving European network of news websites.
As our Head of Engineering you will lead our work in maintaining and developing our technical architecture, with the aim of constantly improving our users’ experience, our core platform stability and our web architecture. You will keep up with new technologies and work with our product team, our editorial team and outsourced UX designers to implement new features. You will aim to constantly improve the efficiency of our tech stack.
You will be responsible for managing our outsourced developers and for procuring the competence needed to meet the future development of the brand.
You will have a deep awareness of the regulatory environment (e.g. GDPR) and issues relating to data security. You will be ultimately responsible for ensuring uptime and ensuring that our server environment is appropriate for our needs. You will use your knowledge of data security to help our operations manager ensure the security and effectiveness of our business systems, such as email and CRM.
The head of engineering will be passionate about news media and be enthused by the prospect of innovating in the media space.
- You have several years working experience in frontend or backend development.
- You have an intermediate to advanced knowledge of MySQL, JS, CSS, HTML and PHP
- Experience of iOS and/or Android development is a plus.
- You have a strong knowledge of system infrastructure.
- You will be familiar with the main regulatory issues affecting the technical operation of websites in the EU, for instance relating to GDPR and security.
- You enjoy working as part of a team, and want to make meaningful and lasting connections with others. You will be able to inspire confidence in others.
- You be a clear communicator in writing and in speech, and be comfortable briefing developers and communicating with non-technical members of the team.
The role can be based at our head office in Stockholm, Sweden, or can be a home-working opportunity in Sweden, Germany, France or Spain. Some travel may be required.
About The Local:
The Local’s news websites serve a worldwide audience of some 6 million monthly users across nine news sites, and a growing customer base of nearly 50,000 paying members. It also owns and runs two forum sites.